This recipe is proof that there is no dessert dish you can’t have a delicious vegan version of. The end result is both decadent and simple and will have your guests really enjoying it, or you can just eat it all yourself.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes (2 hours including chilling)
- 2 sheets of vegan friendly puff pastry
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan friendly custard powder
- ¾ cup corn flour
- 4 cups of your favourite plant-based milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 60 grams of Nuttelex or vegan butter substitute/margarine
- 2 cups of icing sugar (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon Nuttelex
- Passion fruit pulp (about 1 passion fruit) – we keep a tin in the pantry for impromptu vanilla slice *alternatively if you don’t have passion fruit use 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of water
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Place the puff pastry sheets on lined oven trays. Prick with a fork and bake for 10-15 minutes at 200C or until lightly browning on top. When you remove them from the oven flatten them if they are too “puffy” with a clean tea towel as you want them flat for the slice.
- Mix the caster sugar, cornflour and custard powder in a saucepan. Gradually add milk, whisking continually to ensure no lumps form.
- Add the Nuttelex/ vegan butter mixing continuously until the custard is thick over medium / high heat.
- Remove from stove top and add the vanilla.
- Let everything cool slightly. Place in a 22 cm square tin, first the pastry, then spread the custard evenly over the first sheet of pastry then place the second sheet of pastry on top. Place in the refrigerator.
- Once completely cool, make the icing and ice the slice
Place icing sugar, Nuttelex (vegan butter) and passion fruit pulp in a bowl and mix. Add small amounts of water at a time until you have a medium textured spreadable icing. Spread evenly over the top of the cool slice. Only cut the slice when completely cool.
Amount per serving:
|Calories / Kilojoules||471 / 1971|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||81 g|
|Dietary Fibre||0.1 g|
This recipe is adapted from: https://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/vanilla-slice-l1483.html