We love this soup for a warming winter meal or even a summer dinner with some spice. It has an amazing amount of flavour for something so easy to prepare. This is a go to for us when we are wondering what to have and you really can use any green vegetables and have a delicious meal.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp of soy or tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp of finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp of white miso paste
- 1 tsp sriracha or more to taste
- 3 large cloves crushed
- 3-6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- ½ red onion finely sliced
- Greens of your choice – you cannot use too much greens so use as much as you like – remember that greens usually reduce down in volume significantly
- 1 -2 cup mushrooms sliced (you can use regular button mushrooms or Asian stir fry mushroom mix if you like)
- 1 block tofu (optional)
- Noodles of your choice cooked per package instructions and drained (we use Ramen noodles, udon noodles etc)
TOPPINGS: Fresh Chili, shallots, coriander, lemon/lime wedge
- Add water, stock, soy sauce, ginger, miso, sriracha and garlic to a large pot and bring to a boil. If you have time boil it for ten mins or so to let the flavours really get in there but it isn’t necessary.
- Add, onion, mushrooms and greens to pot and cook for 5 minutes (overcooking isn’t the end of the world but your greens will basically disintegrate).
- Carefully add the tofu and noodles* and cook for an additional three minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Ladle soup into bowls and add optional toppings.
* If you are making a big batch of this soup for yourself to have later meals DO NOT add the noodles as when you refrigerate the soup for later – the noodles will continue to absorb the soup and become too squashy. Just pop the cooked noodles in the bottom of your bowl and pour the hot soup over them when you serve yourself so that you have nice soup and cando fresh noodles when you go to have leftovers.
Amount per serving:
|Calories / Kilojoules||294 / 1230|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||28 g|
|Dietary Fibre||6 g|
* The nutritional information provided above is to be used as a guide only and your meal may differ